All applications for our full-time undergraduate degrees (BA), foundation degree (FdA/FdSc) and full-time higher national certificate/diploma (HNC/HND) should be made direct to UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service).
The date that your application needs to arrive with UCAS depends on your university and course choices, so you will need to check the application deadlines to ensure you apply before the deadline date. Note: If you miss the deadline date, don't despair, contact us immediately and we'll advise on your next step.
To apply to University Centre St Helens, search for us on the UCAS website by using our institution code S51. Once registered on the UCAS website, keep a note of your login and password. Once you have submitted your application form it will then be sent by UCAS to University Centre St Helens.
When we receive your application from UCAS, we will write to you to invite you to attend an interview. After considering your application and interview, we will contact UCAS with our decision.
UCAS have an online tracking system, called Track, which will regularly be updated throughout the application process so that you can see where your application is up to. Keep checking this and make sure you reply to the offers you receive. You should also receive a letter from both UCAS and ourselves with confirmation of any offer made.
If you are accepted, UCAS will send you a letter of confirmation. If your grades are higher or lower than expected, or if you change your mind, there are other options available. Check Track and look for course vacancies on the UCAS website to find an alternative place, or come and talk to us. UCAS receive some exam results and send them to the universities and colleges. For others, you may need to send your results to your chosen universities yourself.
You need to make sure you have everything ready, such as accommodation, finances, travel arrangements, books and equipment required for the course. If in doubt about any of these things, contact us for help.
If you have any questions about the UCAS website, you can telephone UCAS customer services on +44 (0)870 11 222 11.
Most entry requirements for degree programmes are expressed in terms of UCAS Tariff points, although some courses request grades in specific subjects and additional criteria may also apply. The UCAS Tariff system, which allocates points to a range of qualifications in university entry requirements, is changing for students joining programmes from September 2017 onwards.
More information on the UCAS Tariff score can be found here.
University Centre St Helens welcomes applicants with a wide variety of qualifications and/or experience. Each application is assessed on its own merits.
We accept qualifications such as A and AS levels, BTEC/OCR Nationals and Higher Nationals, BTEC QCF, International/European/Welsh Baccalaureate, Scottish Highers, Irish Leaving Certificate, Access to HE Diploma, NVQ Level 3 (alongside other recognised qualifications), Advanced Diploma, and Open University credits.
Our entry criteria are mapped to the new UCAS Tariff points for academic year 2017/18 entry.
University Centre St Helens intends to recruit students from a varied range of backgrounds and experience onto its courses. Offers of a place on the course will not be based solely upon academic qualifications alone and related skills gained in the workplace will also be considered. The final decision in terms of acceptance onto the course will lie with the Programme Leader.
When to Apply
The dates vary between courses and course providers a full timeline can be found below:
- 15th January 2017 - Applications for the majority of undergraduate courses should arrive at UCAS by 18:00 (UK time) on this day (check course details on our search tool for the correct deadline). The reference needs to be completed before the application can be sent to us.
NOTE: University Centre St Helens, however, will consider applications made after this closing date, subject to places being available on your chosen course(s).
- 25th February 2017 - Extra starts for eligible applicants.
- 24th March 2017 - Creative Arts Degree courses at University Centre St Helens have a 24 March deadline; again applications should arrive at UCAS by 18:00 (UK time). The reference needs to be completed before the application can be sent to us.
- 30th June 2017 - If an application is sent to us by 18:00 (UK time) on this day, we’ll send it to the chosen universities or colleges; applications received after this date will automatically be entered into Clearing.
- 4th July 2017 - Last date for applicants to add an Extra choice.
- 31st August 2017 - The deadline for any remaining conditions to be met – otherwise the university or college might not accept the applicant – this day also marks the end of Adjustment.
- 21st September 2017 - The final deadline for applications to 2017 courses. Applications must arrive at UCAS by 18:00 (UK time).
- 20th October 2017 - The deadline for adding Clearing choices and universities or colleges accepting Clearing applicants.
You can apply to study on one of our part-time degree courses all year round. To apply, please complete the adult online application form.
When completing the application form please provide as much information as possible as we intend to recruit students from a varied range of backgrounds and experience onto our courses. Offers of a place on the course will not be based solely upon academic qualifications alone and related skills gained in the workplace will also be considered. The final decision in terms of acceptance onto the course will lie with the Programme Leader.